Selecting the right breed of chickens is an important step in your chickens raising project. The type of breed you choose depends on your goals for keeping chickens. For instance, do you want to keep chickens that lay a lot of eggs, provide meat, or are you looking for a fancy chickens to keep as pets?
There are numerous breeds of chickens out there. Choosing the best one for you can be overwhelming but once you know what you need you will find it easier to decide on the best breed to keep.
Remember that choosing the right breed is not just about the visual differences because some chicken breeds are more adapted to specific needs than others.
For example, there are chicken breeds that are better at laying eggs while others provide the best meat. And of course, they are those breeds kept for their beauty.
Why To Pick Certain Chicken Breeds
There are several reasons why people choose different breeds including the following:
- Chicken breeds that lay more eggs
- Chicken breeds that lay large or small eggs
- Breeds that lay specific color of eggs
- Breeds that grow faster
- Breeds with abundant breast meat
- Chicken breeds that behave calmly
- Breeds that are more resistant to diseases
- Breeds that are adorable or fun to look at
- And many more